Saturday, April 28, 2007

Meltdowns and miracle cures



My sweet little Cate has realized the truth. She has been taken away from the only home she has ever known and been given to foreigners. She is grieving. She sulks, cries, and will sometimes refuse to eat. I have had to carry her constantly. We have been going to fun places to play, and she just sits. We went to Walmart (they really are everywhere) and I asked Michael to tell her she could have any toy she wanted. She said, "I don't want it." In the hotel room she takes my hand and goes to the door and asks for her foster mom. It is really heart-wrenching.

Luckily, help arrived with Grammy's suitcase. Yes, after four days it finally arrived. Inside was the miracle cure of Grace's adoption - Cheerios! I don't know what they put in that stuff, but it acts like baby Prozac. She eats it and just grins. I am hoping desperately we have turned a corner, but only time will tell.

Grace, however, is rising to the challenge. She is really trying hard to to share her mommy. It has been very difficult, and I am so proud of her!

4 comments:

Vickie said...

Hang in there Min momma, our girls are stubborn but she'll come around. She's beautiful!!
Vickie
Min momma to Kat

Doug and Terrye said...

Gotta love those cheerios!!! "Uncle" Michael is wonderful, he was our guide in March 06.

Kelly said...

She is beautiful and obviously the cheerios work wonderfully based on the little smirk!

:) All the best for the rest of your trip!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy for you all- Cate & Grace will be conspiring against you before you know it! What a blessing to have two precious little ones:)
Karen Butner
Mommy to 7, including Miss Gracee from Huaibei